1823-1831: Samuel Hermann purchases a block-long rectangle of land stretching from Saint Louis Street to Conti Street. Hermann’s stables later become Broussard’s Magnolia Room.
1844-1851: Felix Grima purchases Hermann’s land, where he lives with his wife Adelaide and their nine children.
1874: The Grima family runs into financial trouble, likely due to the Civil War. By 1896, their land is divided. Today, the Hermann-Grima House occupies the Saint Louis side, and Broussard’s occupies the Conti side.
1880: Jefferson Academy, a distinguished preparatory school for boys, occupies the future site of Broussard’s.
1894: Antonino Borrello, a tailor, lives with his family at the future site of Broussard’s—likely in what is now the Josephine Room or the Magnolia Room.
1920: Joseph Broussard marries Rosalie Borrello. Together, they open Broussard’s.
Chef Joseph, a Louisiana Creole with Parisian culinary training, marries Antonino’s daughter, Rosalie. They open Broussard’s in her childhood home, later purchasing the land in 1929. Joseph showcases his admiration for Napoleon by choosing the bee—the Emperor’s personal emblem—for Broussard’s crest. Additionally, whenever a guest orders a Brandy Napoleon, the waiter rings a bell and salutes the statue of Napoleon in the courtyard.
1966: Joseph and Rosalie pass away, one month apart from each other.
1974: Longtime steward Joseph Segreto partners with Joseph C. Marcello and Joseph Marcello Jr. to purchase and renovate Broussard’s.
The renovation takes almost two years to complete under “The Dean of Historic Preservation,” Architect Samuel Wilson, Jr. Segreto strives to maintain the original French and Sicilian influences of the Broussard and Borrello families.
1984: Gunter and Evelyn Preuss become part-owners of Broussard’s. They later become sole owners in 1993.
After emigrating to the United States from Germany and working their way up through hotel kitchens, the Preusses form the quintessential husband-wife restaurant team. Chef Gunter mans the kitchen, while hostess Evelynn directs the “front of the house.” Their son, Marc Preuss later joins the family business as co-owner and General Manager.
1987: Saint Pope John Paul II visits New Orleans. Chef Gunter prepares of His Holiness’ daily in-residence meals.
1998: Broussard’s wins the DiRoNa (Distinguished Restaurants of North America) Award, Achievement of Distinction in Dining. Only 800 restaurants in the United States are recipients of this award.
2000: Broussard’s wins the Ivy Award, given by Restaurants & Institutions Magazine. With only 6 Ivy Awards given per year, it is one of the most coveted awards in the industry. This same year, Broussard’s receives Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence and the International Award of Excellence from the International Restaurant and Hospitality Rating Bureau.
2001: Broussard’s is inducted into Nation’s Restaurant News’ Fine Dining Hall of Fame.
2013: The Ammari Brothers purchase Broussard’s.
2015: Broussard’s again receives Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence.
2020: Broussard’s celebrates its 100th anniversary!
100 Years of Broussard’s
Wed - Thurs: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Fri - Sun: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed - Thurs: 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sun: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed - Sat: 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
We offer discounted validated parking at the Royal Sonesta: